Renowned Maritime Historians and Experts Lecture aboard QE2′s Final Crossings during October Tandem Crossings with Queen Mary 2
July 16, 2008 at 4:49 pm
Already considered the finest onboard enrichment programme in the industry, Cunard Line’s intellectual pedigree will be further established this summer and autumn with a Cunard Insights line-up featuring history buffs, star gazers, bestselling authors and broadcast personalities aboard Queen Mary 2′s celebrated Transatlantic voyages and aboard QE2′s final Crossings. A special highlight will be the ships’ October tandem Crossings and the inclusion of renowned maritime historians and experts lecturing aboard QE2 during these historic voyages. Insights lecturers on these Crossings include:
QE2: October 10, Southampton-New York:
– Bill Miller — Famed author and maritime historian Bill Miller is considered an international authority on the subject of ocean liners and cruise ships, having written 70 such books. Among his many other titles, he is the adjunct curator of the Ocean Liner Council at New York’s South Street Seaport Museum, the assistant editor of Ocean & Cruise News and created the ship database for the Ellis Island Museum. He received the National Maritime History Award in 1994 and the Silver Riband Award in 2005. During this voyage, he will provide a series of lectures on the great liners of the 20th Century.
– Ted Scull — A New York-based author, travel writer and lecturer specializing in maritime subjects, railway history and New York City, he has been sailing on Cunard passenger ships since 1964. Among his four presentations, one will pay special tribute to QE2, the longest serving Cunarder.
– Sir Michael Parker — Longtime organizer for Royal and National events including Her Majesty The Queen’s Silver and Golden Jubilees, and the anniversaries of VE and VJ Day.
QE2: October 16, New York-Southampton
– Jennie Bond — BBC broadcaster and journalist, and former Royal Correspondent.
– Stephen Payne — Being appointed as new build project manager and lead architect for Cunard’s Queen Mary 2 was, in Payne’s view, the greatest and most prestigious assignment that any naval architect could wish for. Among his lectures on ocean liner history, he will present an illustrated history of famous Cunarders.
Queen Mary 2: October 10, Southampton-New York
– Barry Brown — Film historian and former BBC TV producer, he will present a series of lectures about some of cinema’s most beloved luminaries including Bette Davis, Errol Flynn, Gene Kelly, Clint Eastwood, David Niven, Ingrid Bergman and Alfred Hitchcock. (Brown is also sailing on the ship’s October 16 Transatlantic Crossing.)
– Derek Fraser — Modern British historian will speak about key Prime Ministers in recent history. (Fraser is also lecturing aboard Queen Mary 2′s July 16 and July 22 Crossings.)
Queen Mary 2: October 16, New York-Southampton
– Lynn Truss — Bestselling author of “Eats, Shoots, Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation” and “Talk to the Hand: The Utter Bloody Rudeness of the World Today” will share her witty take on these themes.
– Eric Dolin — Author of eight books, he will lecture on the history of whaling in America.
– David Whitehouse — Noted author, astronomer and Royal Astronomical Society Fellow, he is the United Kingdom’s most well known broadcast commentator on science, including frequent appearances on BBC News and Sky News. He will present compelling lectures about the sun, the moon, the universe and space.
“A Transatlantic Crossing is a pinnacle travel experience for the scholarly Cunard guest who is captivated by the Golden Age of Ocean Travel,” said Carol Marlow, president of Cunard Line. “At Cunard, we deliver on this promise through a dynamic and carefully researched programme of speakers who are among the most highly regarded authorities in their respective fields.”
Highlights of upcoming Cunard Insights programmes and speakers on Queen Mary 2′s Transatlantic Crossings include:
– Steve Rivellino — July 15
A leading producer in theater and former vice president and general manager of New York’s Radio City Music Hall.
– John Maxtone-Graham — August 13
Renowned maritime historian and speaker.
– Royal Astronomical Society — August 13 and November 15
A new Cunard partnership with RAS brings “star parties” on deck and compelling lectures on topics including the “Big Bang” theory and the nature of black holes.
– A Tribute to Bob Hope featuring Linda Hope — September 4
Linda Hope, daughter of the iconic entertainer, will share an intimate look inside the life of her world-famous father. Her appearance is in advance of the first-ever Bob Hope Estate Charity Auction.
– Margaret Atwood — August 27
Author of 40 books in genres ranging from fiction and poetry to literary criticism.
– Boston Symphony Chamber Players — September 4
BSO artistic administrator Anthony Fogg joins a distinguished group of Chamber Players for special performances and musical insights.
– Joanne Harris — September 21
Bestselling author of “Chocolat” and her first book geared toward young adults, “Runemarks”.
– Giancarlo Impiglia — October 4
Italian painter, sculptor, art historian and lecturer, whose work can be found onboard Queen Mary 2.
Cunard has long been synonymous with onboard enrichment. Delving deeply into a variety of compelling and relevant topics, Cunard Insights introduces guests to stimulating experts and accomplished visionaries who reflect the line’s heritage of adventure and prestige. Through a series of lectures, Q&A’s, debates, social gatherings, and workshops, guests connect with personalities who have achieved notable distinction in areas including history, world affairs, science, politics, arts and literature. The Insights programme underscores Cunard’s longstanding view that onboard entertainment should afford guests a provocative and rewarding cerebral experience.
For more information and reservations about Cunard, contact your travel professional, call 1-800-7-CUNARD or go to http://www.cunard.com
About Cunard Line
Cunard Line, operator of the luxury ocean liners Queen Mary 2, QE2 and Queen Victoria has long been synonymous with the quest for new discoveries and the epitome of British refinement since the company’s first paddle-wheeled steamer, Britannia, crossed the Atlantic in 1840. Cunard voyages bring together like-minded travelers who relish the Cunard hallmarks of impeccable White Star Service(TM), fine dining, sophisticated adventure, the legacy of historic voyages and transatlantic travel.
Cunard Line is a proud member of World’s Leading Cruise Lines. The exclusive alliance also includes Carnival Cruise Lines, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises, Costa Cruises and The Yachts of Seabourn. Sharing a passion to please each guest, and a commitment to quality and value, member lines appeal to a wide range of lifestyles and budgets. Together they offer exciting and enriching cruise vacations to the world’s most desirable destinations.
SOURCE Cunard Line
Entry filed under: Get Wet, Maritime. Tags: Bill Miller, Cunard Line, QE2, Queen Mary 2, Ted Scull, transatlantic crossing.